Who Can Enter a Supported Decision-Making Agreement?
- Any individual over 18 who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. Tex. Est. Code § 1357.002(1) & (2)
- A level of capacity a person must have in order to enter a supported decision-making agreement is not defined, but a person must have sufficient capacity to agree to the supporter assisting him or her in making particular decisions.
Who Can Be the Supporter?
- The law does not place any restrictions on who may become a supporter.
- The person who needs the support decides on someone they trust.
- Typically, the supporter may be a family member, relative or friend.